Tuesday, December 01, 2009

survival mode

i've kind of been in survival mode for the last two weeks while i was serving on jury duty. it's been busy! you working moms are there are superwomen! i don't know how you do it. yesterday was the last day of jury duty. it was an interesting process to be part of but i was happy to kiss it goodbye. i came home last night totally beat and atticus was even more beat, poor little guy. this is when "survival mode" kicked in. to keep atticus happy until betime, last night's survival mode included no less than five packs of fruit snacks, two lollipops, a handful of hint of lime tortilla chips, a just-for-fun bath that resulted in a very wet bathroom, one hour of curious george, reading lots of books, an easy-to-make dinner and a sink full of dishes that were left until morning. and for me: two tylenol when i got home and two tylenol PM at bedtime. oh and the ice cream darek brought for me on his way home from work. what a good husband!

so anyway, things have been hectic lately but it was so nice to have a break from jury duty for thanksgiving. i hope you all had a happy thanksgiving as well. we hosted again this year which is always fun. we had the durazzanis and the donvitos over and the food was delicious and our kids were rambuncious! perfect! we are grateful for wonderful friends that help make up for being so far away from family, especially during the holidays.


and today i'm so happy to say hello to december! isn't this the most magical month? magical can also be code for cold as atticus and i froze like icicles on our walk this morning. that part isn't fun about winter but at least the holiday season tricks me into viewing cold weather as "cosy." come january and it's nothing but torture but that's still a month away. december is particularly magical for me because ten years ago today i arrived in rome as a new and profoundly clueless missionary. the following year i was serving in the rome 1 branch and spent my christmas there. rome is incredible at christmas time and i miss it every year, but love the happy memories.
to kick off the christmas season we've had the christmas music playing constantly. and isn't church always better when you get to sing the christmas hymns? i love it! i'm pretty sure i've posted this in decembers past but to kick off the christmas month i'm posting two verses from "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." We're practising this song in young women's to sing in church later this month. Verse three is so sad but i have to post it here so that you can really appreciate verse four.
verse three:
"And in despair
I bowed my head:
'There is no peace on earth,' I said,
'For hate is strong
and mocks the song
Of peace on earth,
good will to men"
~
verse four:
Then pealed the bells
more loud and deep
'God is not dead,
nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail,
the right prevail,
With peace on earth,
good will to men!"
k, i hope that song is stuck in your head now
~
merry christmas-month!
i hope it's magical!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Thanks for you nice Christmas message...I really liked it. I too arrived in Italy in December, such beautiful memories. I hope you are doing well...you and Atticus should stop by Westgate playground on a nice afternoon.

Trisha said...

That is my favorite Christmas hymn and not many people like it. I love it for those two verses. Have a great month!

Jhordan said...

awww this song was in fact the wreathmaking program THEME! we'll have to watch anna's vid.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Not only is this my favorite Christmas hymn, but it is also my Dad's favorite Christmas hymn. I was tickled pink when I found out we matched :) !!

familia Bybaran said...

That's my favorite Christmas song! I love Christmas. Our tree is up and the kids love it. Christmas with kids is even better than it ever was alone.

I hear you on survival mode. We have been there the last two weeks as well because I have been so super busy.

Keleigh, Cecilia and Family said...

the Durazzanis. really? che forte! and kinda jealous!