Sunday, May 17, 2009

so sad...

we received word today, at the end of the stake conference broadcast, that the longfellow chapel had caught fire and burned down during the broadcast. we were all shocked and saddened by this news. it's a beautiful building in the heart of harvard square right next to the charles river. it was one of the first LDS chapels in the boston area and holds a lot of historical and sentimental significance for all the members in this area. it houses the singles wards and those that were attending conference today, about 300 people, all made it out safely. we are so sad to say goodbye to this building. this is were i saw clients when i worked for LDS Family Services. it is also where most of our ward baptisms are held and where darek plays basketball. because it houses the singles wards a lot of local members met their spouses there. so sad to see it go.


watch the news story here

4 comments:

KamilahNYC said...

ok, we just heard about it and I was about to call you cause I was wondering if this was your ward! sad!!

Amy said...

It just breaks my heart--I only ever went there once, but I know how much that building means to everyone out there and it makes me so sad. I really hope they'll be able to save some of the original building and rebuild.

The Larsens said...

I just happened to look at your blog today, and was totally shocked to read this. How sad, it breaks my heart that this happened. I am happy everyone made it out safely.

Leah said...

That's horrible!!