Monday, March 26, 2007
I have the greatest news...Ihop has come to Cambridge! I know, I know. "Ihop is a dime a dozen" you say, but let me tell you that since moving to Cambridge I haven't seen an Ihop, Dennys, Village Inn, or any other breakfast-all-the-time and delicious-milkshakes-at-midnight establishment within the three surrounding states. It has actually caused me to wonder, "How international is the Internaltional House of Pancakes if they don't even exist on the east coast!" I'm sure they exist somewhere around here, I just haven't had the great pleasure of frequenting such fine cuisine in many moons. I mean, every now and then you just need to pretend like your 16 years old again and are going out after a stake dance to enjoy delicious greazy breakfast!
I know, my photography skills are stellar in the above photo. But since the cinnamon roll pancakes were the star of the show, all that matters is that they are deliciously featured and recorded for posterity!
Friday, March 23, 2007
Sunday, March 18, 2007
A.K.A: Packy, Kamilah, Kelly, Amy, Leah, Jo, Tiff, Allison, Julia, any Avonlea or Sky View girls! Jen, you probably know this dude too and maybe those of you who were Jen's roommates, I'm not sure.
You MUST take the time to click on THIS LINK and watch a rap video made by one or our very favorite Provo locals! It might take a second to load but you will not be disappointed!
Tisha Hambo, you need to see this too and make sure your roommates watch it as well!
Everyone else of course is also invited to enjoy the brilliance though you just might not get the full effect not knowing "B Money" personally! Any Provoite may appreciate the fabulous scenery.
Saturday, March 17, 2007
Darek's snow art
Thursday, March 15, 2007
I'm like all patriotic and stuff! America was pretty much born in my neighborhood! It's wicked cool! Go America!
I have yet to sell out and become a Sox fan, but I have been to two Celtics games. That's worth something isn't it?
Bottom line is that I love Boston!
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Monday, March 12, 2007
This is a for reals unused vintage postcard, a diamond in the rough found among the shmucky shmuck at Good Will. I mean check out these hotties! The back of the postcard says, "Mail-Order Fashion Hunks" Well said, old postcard, well said!
I'm covering for some short-staffedness that has occurred at our day program and let me say it, as if I haven't said it before...I'm a little burned out!
I slept a total of 48 minutes last night. Sadly this resulted in my sleeping through the gorgeous 54 degree weather this afternoon, but never fear day light savings is here (hallelujah) and tomorrow it's going to be in the 60's so I get a second chance at an afternoon run.
I'm predicting that today's afternoon nap will result in a 2 AM post about insomnia...get excited!
I threw a Nicholas Sparks book from me in disgust tonight. So cliche! So painful! Don't get me wrong, The Notebook = masterpiece, but I think there will be no more Nicky for me!
I went to the library in a wickedly obnoxiously bright tie dyed shirt my niece made me a few years ago. So yes, I'm the nerd that goes to the local library and wears tie dye shirts!
I picked up a couple Jodi Picoult books, a author recently recommended to me. Opinions anyone?
Remember in high school when you would strategically walk down a certain hall at a certain time to "accidentally" run into a certain secret crush? Yes, well I tried that tactic tonight, in an effort to run into my husband in Central square as he got off the subway...it didn't work. I've lost my hottie stalking skills.
I observed a dropped half full tube of Blistex in Central square tonight and mourned for the loss of that sad he or she who lost such a prize. Oh the thoughts of reaching into my pocket in sweet anticipation on Blistexual heaven only to come out emptied handed...sad
Amazing Grace: if you are one of the poor souls who has not yet seen this movie and not yet downloaded the bag pipe version of the song from iTunes then please get on the ball. I've always loved this song and I've always loved the story behind the song (please Wikipedia John Newton and William Wilburforce to get the story). I'm cheesy and schmitzy but I must admit my tender heart was touched!
Also for you poor souls who have yet to taste the sweet splendor of chocolate graham crackers, please indulge at once!
I've also been loving whole grained cheerios of late. Lightly sweetened. What a delight!
Hmmm...I guess that's it for now. See you at 2:00 AM!
Friday, March 09, 2007
As the anniversary of Darek's birth marks the kick off of March Madness his birthday celebration often includes something of the basketball world. Luckily, since Darek is the Sonics #1 fan they always feel compelled to repay his loyalty by coming to town regardless of which part of the country we live in. Tonight they came to play the Celtics and led until the end of the third quarter, at which point they apparently became frustrated that only 2 individuals, namely Derelique and myself, were cheering for them during the game and they decided to let the Celtics pull a miracle out of the thin freezing 13 degree air and win by a landslide. Oh well, still very fun to have Ray Allen personally visit Darek on his birthday.
This is Darek's 2003 birthday when the Sonics came to Salt Lake to celebrate Darek's birthday!
While we were winning :)
After we lost :(
Darek has finally abandoned his silly office job to join the ranks of Jack Bauer in the noble, dangerous and fearless defense of our fine country against the injustice of merciless terrorism. Like Jack he will show no mercy. Like Jack he too will torture himself after misplacing his keys until he gives up the location!
And drive his red hot LEGO Ferrari...
Here's the birthday celebration when Darek got home from work last night. We ate yummy dinner at Fire & Ice then came home for cake and ice cream and opening presents!
The photo above is a recreation of this one below that we took on Darek's 19th birthday, the first of his birthdays that we celebrated together. We had gone snowboarding earlier that day, which then became a tradition for his birthday for a lot of years, then later I baked him some yummy-Betty-Crocker-brownies and delivered them to good old Merrill Hall!
Darek was pretty excited last night to come home to find his sweet gifts wrapped in the neighbor's newspaper that I stole for wrapping paper. (Don't fear the paper was two days old and as far as I'm concerned a two day old paper has been abandoned and is thus for the taking!)
I got these nifty candles that have flames that burn the same color as the candle. The colored flames don't show up too well in this photo but they were pretty bright in real life.
Darek huffed and he puffed and he made a really scary picture! He deserves to get his wish after the amount of effort he put into this!
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Hooray! The real day of celebration has come! Darek turns 28 today and in honor of his 28 years here are 28 things you should know about him:
1. He loves kids and has tons of fun playing with them
2. He watches chick flicks with me because he's so nice
3. He makes funny movies funnier
4. He's a basketball fanatic
5. He steals all the covers
6. He never complains about anything I make for dinner, even if it's Mac-n-Cheese
7. He is really good at drawing
8. He is getting really good at Guitar Hero II and totally rocks out while he plays
9. He has a tender heart which is why I married him
10. He chats with kids and makes funny faces at them where ever we go
11. He reads on the subway
12. He's a pro at fixing up vintage bikes
13. He is a loyal friend
14. He dressed all preppy-Seattle-ish in high school
15. He's a hard worker, when he wants to be :)
16. He gets a little OCD about certain projects, but couldn't care less about other projects
17. He always shares his food with me
18. He loves watching sports on TV, especially college sports
19. He was a skier before he met me (sizzle), but quickly became quite the pro boarder
20. He wooed me by bringing me treats and hand picked flowers (stolen from BYU grounds) to class at BYU and filling my room with balloons on V-day long before we started dating
21. He's mute for like two hours in the morning after he wakes up
22. He has a not-so-secret man crush on Jack Bauer and once upon a time thought Brittany was hot, he even had her Pepsi poster hanging in his room
23. He's a total house husband and helps out a lot around the house which is so great!
24. He's pretty meticulous about how he cares for his clothes, especially his work clothes
25. He is super laid back and easy to get along with
26. He appreciates old ghetto movies like Xanado and Roller Boogie
27. He likes to people watch and chat about strangers with me
28. He is the best husband ever and my favorite person in the world!
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Ok folks, whoever can answer the following questions correctly about Derelique will get a prize...of some sort...the prize situation is yet to be determined but give it a try anyway! If you don't know the correct answer feel free to make one up!
1. What is Darek's middle name? Wendall
2. How old is Darek turning on Thursday? 28
3. What sport does Darek spend 2-3 nights a week playing? Basketball
4. What company does Darek work for? PricewaterhouseCoopers
5. Would Darek rather have a dog or a cat? kitty please
6. Where did Darek serve his mission? Colombia
7. Where was Darek born? Tacoma, WA
8. Who is Darek's favorite sports team? Sonics
9. From what Native American tribe does Darek hail? Cherokee
10. What number child is Darek in his family? #6 of 9
11. What is the longest stretch of time Darek has ever slept? 16 hours
12. True or False: Darek keeps a journal. I think Logan's answer was most accurate, yes he keeps a journal, safely in his bedside table...does he write in it? That's another story!
13. What is Darek's calling? stake young men's secretary
14. What household chore is Darek particularly fond of? vacuuming, I know, so random but I love that he does it because I'm less fond of the chore
15. What's your favorite thing about Darek? oh let me count the ways!
Ok people, let's hear your answers! Leave a comment and show us how much you know about the birthday boy!
Monday, March 05, 2007
So for those of you who were around last year you might remember that we celebrated Darek's birthday every night of the week of his birthday, so to keep with tradition tonight was the first celebration of Darek's birthday week! Be prepared to learn all kind of exciting things about Derelique this week that you may have never known before. Tonight's disclosure...
Darek wants to be a rock star! That's right, he just wants to thrash around a stage with a guitar and rock out. So tonight the stage is our living room and Darek will be rocking out on his brand new Guitar Hero II (the Nimbus 2000 of PS2 games).
We discovered this gem two Christmases ago and played it for hours in Best Buy. We felt a little dumb at first but pretty soon we were rockin out like a mad man totally oblivious to the numerous strangers passing by witnessing our mad skills. In any case, Darek has kind of wanted to purchase the treasure since then and tonight was the night. Lucky birthday boy.
When the Dovers came last summer Darek took Dov directly to Best Buy to let him share in the joy. Pictured here is D Rock serranading the Dov with some tender love song, no doubt.
Darek started a band on the game called "Third Toe Longest" named after my third toe...which is the longest one on my foot. His band is currently touring Boston. I really wish you could see him right now. Such a spaz!
Thursday, March 01, 2007
but it melted in like a minute which was a shame because it was so beautiful and not the pain-in-the-behind kind of snow that gets all icy and life-threatening-ish. Supposedly we're getting more tonight which would be cool.
Thank goodness for four wheel drive. Sometimes I miss my little Jedi Knight (the Jetta, though usually pronounced H-etta in the Rosa voice) but this puppy pretty much saves my life daily driving around here. I think I mostly get a little sentimental about the Jetta when I hear my neighbor lock his and it makes the same little beep beep that mine made! Oh, it's a little tender!
So that's our building on the right and those are the windows that I'm always looking out to observe all the fun drama of our neighborhood - firetrucks, police chases, car crashes, fist fights and such. Good times!
So I work in a residential treatment center that is located in a big gorgeous victorian house in this neighborhood. It's kind of nice to work in a big beautiful home.