Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mama Donvito


I was happy to have a little girl time at Laura's baby shower last Saturday, showering her with gifts and yummy food to celebrate her soon-to-arrive baby boy. However, for those of you who have never been to a baby shower let me enlighten you as to what actually happens when you combine the concept of "girl time" with that of "baby shower." What that actually equates to is this ever increasingly painful discussion for those non-mothers in the crowd as the mothers in the room inevitably start sharing details about their pregnancies, deliveries, child rearing, etc. etc. Suddenly phrases such as mucus plug and back contractions and tearing cervixes and huge needles in your back and what-happens-when-you-take-castor-oil descriptions start flying. Then after the soon-to-deliver mom and the aforementioned non-moms are cringing with fear at the haps of delivery, mothers start describing babies blowing through their diapers and needing their clothes changed four times a day and their milk coming in while giving a talk in church and sleeping a total of 38 minutes a night between feedings and so on and so forth. Now don't get me wrong, I know that motherhood's got to be the greatest thing in the world. I just don't want to know some of those details until it's too late for me to turn tail and run like mad!

In any case, I'm so happy for the Donvitos and can't wait to welcome the little Italian Stallion into the world!

3 comments:

Leah Wright said...

I died laughing at this post Berli. See, now you won't have any suprises!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am just grateful you have a good sense of humor. Being the soon to be mom and the non-moms in the room, (especially when one is trying to conceive and can't - how many years was I in that position? and how many more do I still know in this position? Lots.) is tough. All of us need to find a good balance of moderation in the way we talk and share :) !!

Shauna Brown said...

Actually, I don't remember any of that. I just woke-up and there was Jaden- YEAH RIGHT!