Monday, February 05, 2007

Be a poet...

So I have a little activity that I sometimes do with my therapy clients called an "I am" poem and I think each of you should try writing one. It's really easy and kind of fun to do. Just complete the sentences of the following prompts:

I am...
I wish...
I want...
I remember...
I understand...
I have...
I love...
I miss...
I struggle...
I hate...
I try...
I cry...
I get...
I dream...
I scream...
I laugh...
I am...

I've written them at different times in my life and it's interesting to see what I come up with. Here's one I wrote last spring...I've included the photos for no reason at all, simply for your viewing pleasure!

I am in this season of my life

I wish the light of the ups could shine into the darkness of the downs

I want to be patient & silent ~ to learn, be humble and still



I remember that sometimes its hard to remember the lesson learned ~ and I have to learn it again and again...

I understand that this too shall pass & shall be for my good

I have learned that I am only human ~ vulnerable, can be wounded & healed, resilient


I love that the sun will come out ~ eventually ~ if not today than maybe tomorrow...

I miss my ignorance ~ but that bliss can only be bliss for so long ~

I struggle sometimes, & too often silently

I hate to forget that sometimes less is more and simplicity is often the answer


I try to see life in color & not live in black & white

I cry because tears are so real!

I get angry when I am fit into a mold that is not my own ~

I dream of the past and the future and sometimes miss out on the now


I scream for joy & life & know that the end is still unwritten

I laugh at myself & it feels so good!

I am whole!

***Clearly this was written during a tough time, hence the therpuetic value of the activity!

So here's some free therapy people...write an "I am" poem and feel better
Ok poets, get to it!

P.S. the third picture is of the Church of the Trinity reflected in the John Hancock tower (you know how I love taking pictures of reflections and all!) and teeny tiny in the bottom right hand corner, to the right of the teeny tiny white van, is teeny tiny me, also reflected in the John Hancock tower! Hee hee!

P.P.S. the teeny tiny dude in the bottom left corner of the first picture is just a teeny tiny dude that got in the bottom left corner of my picture!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

That was beautiful! I love the feelings it invoked!

Mine is up ... but I think you already read it :) !!

Tiffany said...

I want to write one of those... don't have the time at the moment but I will jot it down as a blog idea.

I love your reflections pics, totally inspire me to look at more reflections.

How are the swaps coming?

Shauna Brown said...

Wow!! I don't think I have your vocab!! Can I go to therapy?

Your Brother said...

Amber. This was awesome. I think I'll have to do this some time soon.

Hope life is happy right now.