Saturday, January 06, 2007

My head in the clouds...


When I was a kid my mother would sing "home again, home again, jiggity jig" everytime we pulled into the driveway. I have no idea where this song came from, what it means or why she'd sing it but I couldn't help myself from singing the tune when we arrived in Cambridge tonight, greeted by 68 degree weather. Our little apartment felt so comforting to return home to. I began mourning the end of our vacation about half way through, which definitely put a damper on the second half of the trip, but we had a really great time and I feel so happy that we were able to go. I really wish we could have stayed a little longer, and I'm sad that we didn't get to see everyone that we wanted to. My heart aches when I visit friends and family and realize how far away Boston really is, but what can I say? This is our home, at least for now, and we really love it.

So, Happy New Year to everyone! I'm excited for the new year but oddly I feel a little worried about what it might bring. I remember feeling so excited for 2006 too and setting so many great goals, etc. etc. etc. but it actually turned out to be a really tough year. I have grown and learned a lot, however, and feel hopeful that 2007 is going to be great!

As for New Year's Resolutions, I have all the same ones that most people have. All the health and spirituality and creativity and saving money and strengthening relationships type goals that I basically have all year round but this year I am going to specifically seek peace, whatever that means and where ever that is found. I'm just going to live my life in a way that will bring peace to me and to others. There is too much anxiety, and junk, and hurt, and stress, and disease, and sarcasm, and criticism, and greed, and jealousy, and ugliness in this world, and we could all use a little more peace! Peace with who we are and what choices we make and how we live our lives. I want to let go of regret and guilt and dread and all those things that steal my peace and hold onto all the happiness and beauty that this life and the gospel have to offer. So that is what I wish for all of you, and year of growth and change and progress and peace!
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Nursery Rhymes 101:

"To Market"

To market, to market to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again jiggity jig.

And there are more verses that follow about a hog, a bun, etc.

I like your philosophy about resolutions. I, too, don't like all the things that steal my peace - being offended, jealousy, etc. and hopefully I can eradicate some of them this year. Good luck on yours and keep us posted :) !!

Darek and Amberli said...

Ah, yes, a nursery rhyme. That sounds familiar.

Amy D. said...

Oh..it was so fun to have you around for a couple of days for old times sake. I love that we did nothing...just like old times. Just were lazy and enjoyed one another's company. Boys in one room and us in the other just like old days! Although they did not make it all night with the video games like Old times, but I did make it 10 minutes into our movie...JUST like old times :)!