Thursday, December 14, 2006

On the twelfth day of Christmas...

So when we were kids my mom started the Christmas tradition of leaving gifts for someone on their porch for the twelve days of Christmas. Every year we chose someone in our ward or neighborhood and for the twelve days leading up to Christmas we would drop off gifts, one gift the first night, two gifts the second night, all the way up to twelve gifts that last night, Christmas Eve.

So anyway, my brother Ryan and I usually ended up being the ones that had to run up to the door step in the middle of the night to leave the gift to be discovered the next morning. One year we decided to do the twelve days of Christmas to this nice old man who always sat on his porch and waved to everyone who passed by. He lived close by but my mom would still drive us around the block to his house and park a few houses away so we could be all sneaky and run up to his porch without detection. The first night went smoothly, we were able to deliver the first gift without any suspicion. We thought we were really clever and sneaky the next day when we passed by his house and waved to him as if nothing was going on. So sly...

Night two and three were successful and Ryan and I were certain that our plan could not be foiled. By this time we thought we were functioning like a well oiled machine and stopped being as stealth and sneaky as we had previously believed necessary. Apparently about this time Mr. Nice Waving Man also became curious to know who was leaving him gifts every night. Little did we know that Mr. Nice Waving Man was somewhat of a sneaky, stealth spy himself...

Night number four came along and we were feeling pretty confident. My mom drove the car a little past Nice Man's house and let us out to run back to his porch. Being the hilarious little kids that we were Ryan and I immediately exited the car in full 007 mode and started acting like some kind of crazy little spies, running from car and car, hiding behind bushes, jumping over obstacles with our stealth catlike reflexes, checking out our surroundings then waving our accomplice ahead.

Anyway, being especially hilarious myself I decided to go totally crazy to make Ryan laugh. I ran out in front of him doing all sorts of spastic spy moves, carrying the gift in my hands, and I remember specifically running low to the ground the with my head down and spinning around cars and mailboxes. Due to my spastic efforts to be sneaky I failed to notice that Ryan had aborted the mission and run back to the car leaving me alone freaking out like a crazy little kid trying to be a sneaky spy. I continued running up the road in full spy mode with my head down, panting like a wild woman, clutching the four gifts in my scrawny arms. Before I knew what was going on I noticed two big black boots standing dead ahead, impeding my run down the side walk. Startled and shocked out of my fantasy land I looked up in surprise at a man standing before me. Paralyzed with fear I found myself staring face to face with Mr. Nice Waving Man. I just stood there...and looked at him...clueless...no stealthness whatsoever!

Finally, I broke his gaze and furiously hauled back to the car. I jumped in the back seat only to find Ryan and my mom absolutely dissolved in laughter! Ryan had seen the dude half way up the block and bolted back to the car undetected. I, on the other hand, had been taking my role as a 007 spy far too seriously and had not only failed to notice Ryan's absence, but I had hopelessly and pathetically failed to noticed the nice man's presence! I was mortified and never thought we would stop laughing. Not only did my mom and Ryan die laughing at me as they watched me spaz out all the way to the old man's house, but what's even worse is that the old man watched me spaz out the whole way down the sidewalk! Seriously, could I be more of an idiot???

Needless to say we sped out of there like a bat out of Hades and didn't come back until after midnight to deliver the gift. I'm pretty sure I was extra careful every night after that and we weren't the ones slyly laughing the next time Mr. Nice Waving Man waved at us as we passed by...

6 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

While I was reading this post, my DH was laughing hysterically and giving me a further eyewitness account to this fateful night : ) !!

I can just imagine you and your 007 stealthy moves. Wish I could see it. Maybe I will have DH recreate the moves of the night!
****************************************************
Just got the demonstration from the one who aborted mission 20 feet prior to you realizing that Mr. Nice Waving Man was on to you.

The partner in crime said...

A masterful retelling and a fully accurate account...It's been a long time since I thought about this. Thanks little sister for reminding me of this way back when. You're making me all sentimental now...

It's fun to remember the good old days.

Darek and Amberli said...

Ahhh~ I loves getting your guys' comments! I'm happy to hear that it was as funny for you to read as it was for me to write. Darek can attest to the fact that I was rolling, laughing out loud while I wrote it. This is quit possibly one of the funniest memories of my childhood, and it would NOT have been the same without my partner in crime!

Julia said...

I would have loved to have been there.

Mom said...

Oh for the memories... I've often smiled about that fateful night, but the way you tell it actually makes me laugh. Love, Mom

KamilahNYC said...

I just bursted out loud at that story! So funny! I can totally picture you dancing around thinking you are sooo clever...nice!